Including a poker warm-up and cool-down is integral to poker success in every session you play.
In episode 4 I talked about open-limping in cash games and why you should never do this… EVER.
Poker Warm-up & Cool-down, Podcast #5
At the end of this podcast you will have a simple, quick and easy way of implementing warm-ups and cool-downs in your sessions.
Why do a poker warm-up and cool-down?
The number one reason for warming-up is to get in our A-game mindset. You’ve got to be prepared before each session, and a good poker warm-up will get you there.
Conversely, why do we cool-down? We need to reflect on the session
- What did I learn?
- What mistakes did I make and how could I have avoided them?
- Did I tilt, and if so, why?
- Pass or Fail?
- Ditch the distractions – internet browsers, phones/texting/social media, television/movies/podcasts/training videos, alcohol, Instant Messenger, other people.
- Journal and answer the following:
- Why am I playing tonight?
- A, B or C game mentality right now?
- What's my one strategy focus tonight?
- 5 minute Q: set a tabata timer and ask a question like: “Is this table still profitable?” or “Who should I be trying to get into hands with at this table?” or “What playing style does each opponent have at this table?”
- Logic Statement: I write down a logic statement to help me stave off tilt
- How long will I play tonight?
Reflect on the session
- Check to see if it's a winning or losing session (if negative results don't tilt you)
- Answer the following 2 questions in your poker journal (click here for a free 21-page Poker Journal):
- What did I learn today?
- Session Pass or Fail?
- Pass is you learned something and didn't tilt
- Fail is you tilted, weren't focused, made terrible decisions
Here's a snapshot of one of my journal entries:
Before and after each poker session this week, do your own warm-up and cool down. Let me know how it works for you. I’d also love to see a picture of your journal or you can tell me the questions you ask yourself to get in your A-game mindset. Commit to this for one week to see how it helps your game.
- Exploit Every Player Tendency – Preflop and Post-flop - September 21, 2023
- Micro Stakes Cash Game Online Poker Training – Ultimate Guide - August 2, 2023
- Poker Question and Answer Episode | Smart Poker Study Podcast - July 27, 2023
Don’t Miss Out!
Get expert tips and strategies straight to your inbox each week!