How to Turn Around a Poker Misclick – Winning a Multiway 3bet Pot
I misclick called a 3bet from the big blind, putting me out of position in a multiway pot… and I just had 75s!
In this article (also with video and podcast, links below), I discuss how I made the best of my misclick call. I analyzed the situation, my opponents, my options and I made the perfect play that won me a 24bb pot.
Watch the video for this article:
Download this podcast episode #417 and follow along below as you listen.
Oh, no ????! I misclick called a 3bet in the BB!
An accidental misclick of calling, betting or raising isn't the end of the world. Pause, take a breath, and ask yourself:
“How can I win this hand?”
Here's the situation I found myself in:
- My first hand at the table, and I didn't know much about my opponents.
- Villain 73 opened in the CO, Villain 74 on the BTN made a small 3bet to 8bb. The SB folded and I misclick called the 3bet. It happened so fast, that my opponents must have thought I hit the “Call Any” button before action was on me.
- Villain 73 called, so 3 of us went to the flop.
Well, even with the worst of holdings, you might still hit a strong hand. For example, Flopzilla Pro tells us that my 75s hits:
- 2 pair or better 5% of the time.
- Top pair or better 8% of the time.
- Top pair or better and open-ended straight draws or better 25% of the time.
But even with TP, I'm not really happy with the flop (742 isn't that great of a flop for me, even though I hit TP).
This means, if I'm going to win this pot, I'm going to have to bluff.
My Flop Options When OOP vs 2 Players
Well, the Js 9h 4h flop didn't hit me at all. I could always just check and give up with my weak backdoor draws.
Or… I could try to win it! Ganbatte! ????
- Not favorable: Check-call, bluff or hit my draw later.
- Decent play: Check-raise bluff.
- Not favorable: Donk bluff.
- Lovely play that risks nothing right now on this dry-ish flop: Check and bet when they check behind.
Analyze the Situation
Before I checked, I analyzed the situation and there was a lot going for me:
- I'm an unknown player who has a confusing “call any 3bet” range (remember, the misclick was so fast it looks like I clicked “Call Any”).
- It's a pretty dry and hard-to-hit board (except for flush draws), so there's a good chance they're both checking behind.
- The BTN made a small 8bb 3bet >>> smells weak.
- The CO opened/call >>> smells weak.
The Strategy I Planned and Used
Given the points above, I thought it was best to time down to make 'em think I had a hand. You can imagine, after an auto-3bet-call, it looks like I might have an overpair or maybe any pair. So, I have all the sets in my range. If I hit a set or overpair, I would naturally consider my options before finally checking. Hopefully, they'll pickup on this signal I'm trying to send.
Then, if they check behind, I'm going to make a “value” bet on the next street. So, I asked myself, “What would I bet with a set or overpair?” 13bb's felt right.
So, that's exactly what I did and I took down the hand:
How to Misclick Then Win a Multiway Pot from Out of Position
FIRST: pause, take a breath and ask yourself, “How can I win this hand?” You can do this on any flop that you miss, not just misclick situations.
On dry boards, when there's a good chance they'll both check, just check. But time down first to make it look like you've got a decision.
Can you rep a strong hand on the board? If so, plan for a turn probe bet.
If they check behind, they've fallen into your trap. Ask yourself, “What would a set bet?” Bet that amount and don't hesitate in betting, that would show indecision and weakness.
The basic strategy here: Use hard-to-hit boards and bet when they check. This is actually useful at anytime, not just when you misclick.
- Here’s Why You Should Play Online No Limit Holdem Poker - March 21, 2023
- How to Experiment with “New” Poker Strategies the Smart Way - March 15, 2023
- Do This BEFORE You Play Poker Again for Quick Improvement - March 8, 2023
Don’t Miss Out!
Get expert tips and strategies straight to your inbox each week!